This is the last summer before my daughter leaves for college. She will be a freshman at MIT in the fall. We are a homeschooling family, and I will especially miss times my daughter and I spent working on various projects together. (More about our experience applying to colleges as a homeschooler in an upcoming post.)
This summer my daughter and I are trying to finish our dollhouse. This is a dollhouse from a Buttercup kit we started on a few years ago and have been slowly working on it together as her time permits. (You can view the original post about the dollhouse here.) Now the outside is almost finished.
We covered the rectangular and round exterior windows with a thin layer of moss and then covered the moss with small seashells. We used reindeer moss on the long arched side and front windows, but were undecided about how to finish the outside of the front door — with a different moss than the adjacent arched windows, with seashells, or with twigs. After much discussion and trying out different materials, we settled on twigs with a background of the reindeer moss.
Here is our progress on the door so far. We used an X-acto mitre box and saw kit to cut twigs to the length of the door. Then we glued them side-by-side over the moss. The moss covers the bare door so the wood doesn’t show between the twigs. Here are some detail photos of us at work:
We found tiny hinges at A.C. Moore. The hinges had teeny brass nails that we finally we able to hammer into the wood. We will remove small sections of the moss on the house where the other part of the hinge will go and then glue back on the moss to cover the hinges.
We are trying to decide on a doorknob for the door. This is one possibility that we like.