I found a beautiful free download faux fur jacket pattern by Design by Lindsay and decided It would be perfect as a starting point for the jacket I had in mind. I showed it to Sophie. She loved it and asked if she could have it in the same fabric. I was surprised to find the fabric was still available through fabric.com. I found some soft, lovely dusty pink Bemberg rayon at Mood and some covered Dritz hooks and eyes at Jo-Ann. I set the printer to print at 100% for the size and printed out the pattern. I lengthened the jacket a few inches, flared the sides seams to be slightly A-line shaped, and raised the neckline to be a regular round neck. I added side pockets and made them out of the lining fabric. I also added covered hooks and eyes so the jacket could be worn closed.
I cut out the fabric using an x-acto knife cutting from the back and carefully going only through the backing fabric so I didn't cut any of the fur pile. I sewed the body and lining separately and then sewed them together using a jacket bagging technique Threads has a clear tutorial for bagging a jacket lining here.
My teddy bear sewing experience came in handy when constructing the jacket, as it is working with fur fabric pile. I used an embroidery needle and my bunka brush to pull the fur out of the seams on both the inside and outside of the jacket. I trimmed all the fur out of the seam allowances and used a catch stitch to flatten and hold all the faux fur seam allowances and sleeve and garment hems against the outer fabric. You can see a detailed catch stitch tutorial on the Craftsy blog.
I closed the opening in the hem created when I bagged the lining. Lastly I hand sewed the five covered hooks and eyes to the front opening of the jacket. Done!
Sophie loves her faux fur jacket.