When making my jeans, I tried hammering the ring style rivets I was using on an anvil block, and saw that the tops of the rivets were flattened some. I found an inexpensive jeans rivet setting kit on Gold Star Tool. This was helpful, but I think the die was set too deeply into the hand setter, so I still had to finish tightening the rivet by hammering it from the back onto an anvil. I do think this method did less flattening of the rivet center. Here is the rivet hand setter kit for ring style rivets. I'll show this method in case people want to try it, and will also show setting a nipple style rivet with a different hand setter that does work really well.
These are my denim samplers. I used these for trying out different rivets styles, practicing riveting techniques, making jeans buttonholes, and attaching jeans buttons. Some steps of tutorial are shown using the denim sampler.
Two types of Jeans rivets - Ring rivet and Nipple style rivet:
For Ring style rivets:
1. Fabric marking pen
3. Jeans rivet - ring style rivet hand setting tool and anvil set (available from Gold Star Tool)
For Nipple style rivets:
1. Fabric marking pen
3. Jeans rivet - nipple style rivet hand setting tool and anvil set (available from Tandy Leatherl)
Directions For Setting A Jeans Rivet:
1. Mark the placement of the rivet with a fabric marking pen. Then use an awl to carefully make a hole where you want the rivet to go.
2. Put the rivet back in the little depression on the anvil. I use solid instead of hollow rivet backs as they are easier to cut down to size without distorting the shape of the rivet back post.
3. Put jeans on top of rivet back with inside facing down and with rivet post going through hole in the jeans.
4. Use Wire cutters to cut off rivet post excess.
5. Put cut rivet back with jeans back into anvil depression.
5. From outside of jeans, put the front part of rivet over rivet post and push down so it is sitting flat.
6. Press rivet front down onto post of rivet back.
7. Place rivet setter over rivet front so rivet fits into depression of rivet setter.
8. Hit end of rivet setter with rubber mallet or hammer. Hit Rivet setter several times with mallet until rivet front is flush with jeans. Be sure to keep rivet setter as vertical as possible.
9. To get rivet front tight against jeans, turn rivet over so it is facing down. Place rivet on anvil, and hit back of rivet from behind with metal hammer until rivet is sitting tightly on jeans. Try not to hit the rivet too hard to avoid flattening it.
Finished rivets on jeans.
Part two - Nipple Rivets
I got this rivet setting kit on eBay. This set is also available at Tandy Leather. The set has 4 other hand setters that come with it. This rivet setter works with nipple rivets.
To set a nipple rivet, follow the steps 1 - 8 for ring rivets but use the hand rivet setter for nipple rivets.
Finished Nipple rivet.